Calluses are just one of several foot afflictions that can cause pain and less than desirable looks. The formation of calluses is caused by an accumulation of dead skin cells that harden and thicken over an area of the foot. Shoes that are too tight or simply being on your feet too much can cause calluses and the desire from the individual is usually to get rid of them as quickly as possible.
What Causes a Foot Callus?
Calluses develop because of excessive pressure at a specific area of the foot. The most common causes of calluses are:
- High heeled shoes
- Mal-allignment of the metatarsal bones
- Shoes that are too small
- Abnormalities of gait
- Flat feet
- High arched feet
- Excessively long metatarsal bone
- Bony prominence
- Loss of fat pad on the underside of the foot
- Short Achilles tendon
Home Remedy Treatment For Calluses and Corns
1/2 cup Baking Soda
1/2 cup Kosher salt
- Soak feet in a tub of hot water with the baking soda and Kosher salt stirred in. Soak for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, lift one foot out of the tub and begin to scrub the callus or corn with the pumice stone. Do this gently, your skin will be tender from the soak.