As time goes by, we tend to accumulate a lot of clutter in our homes. Many times, dealing with clutter can be overwhelming. Below are five tips to beat your household mess.
- Start small.Tackle the most urgent clutter – usually the bills, letters and mail. Set aside an hour each day and go drawer by drawer.
- Focus on one area at a time. Toss items that belong somewhere else into a box and return them to the correct place later on. This way, you can finish one area at a time and not get distracted with clutter that belongs to another area of the house.
- Give yourself a target date to finish an area For example, a bedroom could take up to 2 days. Break up the big task into daily tasks to make it more manageable.
- Think logically. Items used daily should be easily accessible. Bed linen can be stored under the bed. Towels can be stored in overhead cabinets in the bathroom. Rarely used items like Christmas decor should be stored up high, in not-so-easy to reach places.
- Sort by type and label. Have different boxes and sort out your things by type. Label them so it is easier to remember where you stored the item. If you haven’t used certain items in years, maybe it’s time to give them away.