In wearing a makeup, matching it with your hair color and complexion is more important that matching it with what you wear, that’s on a personal note. There are times though where matching it with your outfit is more appropriate (only when the occasion calls for it).
Whether you have blond, black or red hair, dark or fair complexion, there’s a makeup look recommended for you. Here are some tips.
If you have a lighter complexion
- Foundation: light matt
- Eyes: penciled eyes (eyeliner), dark brown or purple eye shadows
- Blush: rosy blusher
- Lip: match it with the blush (nude lip color is recommended)
Tip: Focus on eyes or lips for a dramatic look; so either smoky eyes with nude lips or a rich lipstick with just a slick of mascara.
AVOID: bright carnival colours
If you have darker skin
- Foundation: Terracotta-coloured (brownish-red colour), water-based foundations is recommended
- Eyes: Shaded in light to dark browns, prunes, copper and burgundy. Dark metallic colors may also be used.
- Blush: rose, deep orange and coral shade blushes. plums,wine and bronze shades for evening and shimmers with gold tone blends.
- Lip: Matte finish lipstick is highly recommended . translucent pink to bright red, consider also shades like browns, burgundy, berry shades, plums, beige, soft pink and gold.
Tips: See to it that your lip color is matching with your eye makeup.
AVOID: Cosmetics that are honey-based as it could make dark skin look yellow, extremely unwell and awful.
Go for warm tone Apricot, beige and light golden yellow are your base colours. They brighten your face along with bronze blusher and brown or russet lipstick. Darker mauves or purples are a good choice for eyes.
TIP for light skin tones: Soft peachy shades on lips and cheeks won’t clash with a ruddy complexion.
MC TIP for tan skin tones: Pale pinks can look drab, so try orange shades to brighten up darker skin.
Warm Redhead: yellow or peach-based shades
Cool redhead : with neutral or a porcelain pink-base
Lip and Blush:
Brick or toast lipsticks and blushes add a great deal of warmth to the redheaded complexion and bring out the natural depth of a redhead’s skin tone. Try also, golden corals and yellow- or gold-based reds, apricots and tawny peaches
Eyebrows and Lashes
Use taupe or light auburn eyebrow pencil or eye shadow to fill in and shape the brows
Lashes: brown, copper, and eggplant mascara look great for more natural looks while black mascara works on a smokier and much glamorous looks.
Eyes and Eye Color
Consider also your eye color in choosing the shade of eye makeup to put on.
Brown eyes : you are just lucky! Any shade will work well with those eye color.
Hazel Eyes: champagne, mauve colors, gold-flecked, and jewel-tone eyeshadow
Green Eyes: pinks or plums (these have red undertones)
Blue eyes: tawny gold based colors and peaches (these have orange undertones)
For more tips on makeup application for every skin complexion, check out this beauty tips post.